Maritime laws apply to accidents that occur on navigable waterways. When you have been involved in an injury at sea, in the San Francisco Bay or even a river or lake, it is important to contact a maritime lawyer who knows this unique area of law. This is true whether you have been injured on a barge, tugboat, commercial cruise, private vessel or other type of boat. Unlike other areas of law, an injured seaman may be able to bring a lawsuit directly against his or her employer to recover for negligence, vessel unseaworthiness and other reasons. Under such circumstances, an injured seaman may seek to recover for:
- Past and future lost wages
- Past and future medical costs and expenses, including surgery, rehabilitation, medical supplies, medication, etc.
- Physical pain and suffering
- Loss of ability to enjoy life and/or take care of common tasks that were performed prior to the accident
- Permanent disfigurement (if applicable), including hearing loss, eye loss, and/or loss of limbs
- Mental and emotional trauma
At Viadro Law, LLP, in the Alameda County area, we represent the victims of maritime accidents. We recognize how severe maritime accident injuries can be and how strongly families can be affected by a death or serious injury that occurs at sea. We take on your problems as our own, working overtime to make sure that you get the best possible results in court.
Act Quickly After A Maritime Accident
When you have been injured at sea or on a navigable waterway, including boat, oil rig and barge accidents, it is important to act quickly if you are considering legal action. Maritime law claims may have a set time limit — called a statute of limitations — that prohibits you from going to court after a certain length of time passes.
Once you decide to take action, it is critical to get the right kind of legal help from an experienced attorney. Hiring a lawyer for your maritime accident lawsuit protects you from making statements or signing any papers that can be used against you. Insurers and lawyers representing negligent parties will have to go through your lawyer first instead of talking with you directly. This saves you the worry and allows you to concentrate on getting better.
Our experienced maritime accident lawyers handle all types of maritime accidents, including those pertaining to:
- The Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act
- The Jones Act
- The Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act
- Unseaworthiness of a vessel in navigable waters
- Maintenance and cure concerns
- Oil rig/jack-up rig/offshore drilling accidents
- Barge accidents
- Commercial diving and dive boat injuries
- Defective gangways
- Defective accommodation ladders
- Ship collisions
Contact Our Oakland Maritime Personal Injury Lawyers
To contact the attorneys at Viadro Law, LLP, call us at 510-907-9577 or 888-353-2158 toll-free or simply complete our online contact form. Initial consultations are free and confidential. Cases are handled on contingency, which means that you owe us no attorney fees unless we collect compensation for you.